Monday, August 11, 2008

The bottle challenge

Yes, I have been afraid to buy anything that is sold in bottles since I arrived. Why? Because I have to take the bottles back to the shop!! Almost all the plastic/glass bottles have deposit (pfand) which is around 20/25 ct. This means you are throwing away 25 cents everytime you throw a bottle away. For me (no car no bike yet) it is already a problem to shop groceries (yes I am missing the grocery stores in every corner in Istanbul), so taking the bottles back is another.
It is the same issue in the office: since I have to buy my own drinking water (yes I am missing the water springs serving free water in the offices in Turkey) my desk is sometimes a bottle trash.

2 comments:

G in Berlin said...

You can call many places that will deliver your water (and any beverage) for free, and then return and pick up with the next delivery and credit your pfand. With no car, that's what we do: 2 kisten Pellegrino, 1 Coke licht, 1 apfel schorle, 1 orange juice, 1 apfel saft, 1 case beer of the month... We use Durst Express. You can find an equivalent...

coco said...

this is the best news I got today! thanks a lot for the tip.